The City of Cumberland is nestled in the mountains of Western Maryland, at the confluence of the Potomac River and Wills Creek. Since Colonial times, Cumberland been central to the history of the region and, indeed, the history of our country.
Canal Place is a celebration of the spirit and hard work that made Cumberland a bustling hub of commerce and transportation during the 19th Century. Maryland’s first official heritage area is a family-friendly destination developing around the Western Terminus of the C&O Canal.
Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park
Preserving America’s colorful Canal era and transportation history, the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park is 184.5 miles of adventure. Originally, the C&O Canal was a lifeline for communities and businesses along the Potomac River as coal, lumber, grain and other agricultural products floated down the canal to market. Today millions of visitors hike or bike the C&O Canal each year to enjoy the natural, cultural and recreational opportunities available.
Western Maryland Scenic Railroad
The Western Maryland Scenic Railroad departs at 11:30 am. The round trip lasts 3 1/2 hours. Reservations are recommended as trains can sell out.
Take the train up the mountain and ride a rental bike back down. Book your trip with CTC and save. Regular price: $64 special promotion price $40.
Emmanuel Episcopal Church (1849) & Fort Cumberland Earthworks (1755)
Located on Washington St. Built in 1849 on the site of Ft. Cumberland, the famous frontier outpost during the French and Indian War. The church was built over a series of trenches and as Cumberland grew, the remaining parts of the trenches were filled in. Visitors to the church can walk through the remaining tunnels. Special features of the Emmanuel Episcopal Church include original Tiffany stained glass windows from three different periods, a large scale model of Ft. Cumberland and other beautiful stained glass. (301) 777-3364
George Washington’s Headquarters (1755)
Located in Riverside Park on Greene St. Used by Washington when he was an aid to General Braddock during the French and Indian War. Hosted by Cresap Chapter NS DAR since 1921. This log cabin, believed to be the only remaining structure from the original Fort Cumberland, was used by then- Colonel George Washington as his official quarters during the French and Indian War. The tiny one-room cabin is not open to the public, but it does have a viewing window and an audio description.
Gordon-Roberts House (1867)
Located at 218 Washington Street. The house features Victorian period furniture, antiques, and displays, pertaining to Allegany County history. Carriage house, formal garden, and Victorian gift shop.
The New Embassy Theatre, Inc.
Located at 49 Baltimore Street. Restored Multipurpose 1931 Art Deco Movie Theatre. The New Embassy Theatre attracts local patrons and tourists who get a taste of urban culture and the allied arts in an authentic movie palace atmosphere. Special events include Broadway musical revivals, an ongoing composers' tribute series, rock shows, and theatre skills workshops, in addition to the Passport Cafe in the Embassy lobby, from April to December. Telephone: (301) 722-4692
Washington Street Historic District
Begins at Baltimore Street and extends to the 600 block. The structures maintain a standard of architectural quality and uniformity of the mid 1800 period. Self guided tour brochure is available at the Visitors Information Center.
Brooke Whiting House of Art
The F. Brooke Whiting Museum is a 1911 American Bungalow house museum located at 632 Washington Street. It is listed on the National Historic Register and is a part of the Washington Street historic district, as the district was extended recently to #632 to include the museum. The Whiting Museum houses Brooke Whiting's Master Collection, which he amassed through inheritance, world traveling, and dealings with prestigious antique dealers and auction houses around the world. His collection consists primarily of Asian Works of Art and Eighteenth-Century American Furniture. The Whiting Collection also includes, but is not limited to, Staffordshire figures, miniature portraits, Russian and Greek icons, and various artwork from around the globe. Telephone: (301) 777-7782.
Allegany Arts Council
The Allegany Arts Council is a non-profit organization working to ensure that Allegany County is A Community Alive with the Arts! Our mission is to promote awareness, understanding and appreciation of the literary, visual and performing arts in Western Maryland in order to enhance the quality of life in our area. Our ongoing goals are to champion the arts in Allegany County, to support practicing artists and local art organizations, to encourage economic development through the arts and to facilitate the growth of our community into a regional arts destination.